Two eight-episode Norwegian dramas debut this week on niche subscription streamers: Outlier, a crime thriller today, July 19, on Acorn TV; and The Half Brother, an historical mystery, Friday, July 23, on Amazon Prime’s add-on channel PBS Masterpiece.
Outlier, which ran originally on HBO Nordic in 2020, concerns a criminal psychologist (Hanne Mathisen Haga) who’s searching for whomever murdered a young girl at a camping resort in Norway’s far-north Arctic region. She’s convinced the police have arrested the wrong man.
The Half Brother, part of Masterpiece Prime’s “Walter Presents” collection, ran originally on Norway’s NRK in 2013 and has previously been shown MHz Choice in the U.S. It chronicles multiple generations of a family, focusing in on Barnum (Nicolai Cleve Broch) and Fred (Frank Kjosås) – two half-brothers growing increasingly estranged as they grow up in Cold War Era Europe.
Outlier and The Half Brother are in Norwegian, with English subtitles.
Acorn TV costs $5.99 monthly, with a seven-day free trial. For more info, visit acorn.tv.
Amazon Prime and Prime Video subscribers can get PBS Masterpiece for an additional $5.99 a month following a seven-day free trial.
An Amazon Prime membership costs $12.99 month/$119 annually and includes the streaming service, free shipping and other benefits. An Amazon Video membership costs $8.99 a month just for the streamer. For more information, visit Amazon.
(Top photo: ‘Outlier,’ courtesy Acorn TV)
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021