The Underground Railroad, a 10-episode series based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Colson Whitehead, debuts today, May 14, on Amazon Prime.
Young Cora Randall (Thuso Mbedu) escapes a Georgia plantation in search of the rumored Underground Railroad. She soon discovers an actual railroad full of engineers and conductors, and a secret network of tracks and tunnels beneath the Southern soil.
A bounty hunter (Joel Edgerton) is determined to retrieve Cora.
Cora’s mother (Sheila Atim) is the only escapee who was never caught. Along her journey, Cora encounters the legacy her mother left behind.
The cast also includes Chase W. Dillon, Aaron Pierre, William Jackson Harper, Amber Gray, Peter De Jersey, Chukwudi Iwuji, Damon Herriman, Lily Rabe, Irone Singleton, Mychal-Bella Bowman, Marcus “MJ” Gladney, Jr., Will Poulter and Peter Mullan.
Barry Jenkins directed all 10 episodes. Executive producers include Jenkins, Brad Pitt and Colson Whitehead.
An Amazon Prime membership costs $12.99 month/$119 annually and includes the streaming service, free product shipping and other benefits. An Amazon Video membership costs $8.99 a month just for the streamer. For more information, visit Amazon.
(Top image: Thuso Mbedu in ‘The Underground Railroad. Credit: Kyle Kaplan. Source: Amazon Studios)
- South Asian Streamer Launches - June 21, 2021
- Apple TV+ Gets ‘Physical’ - June 16, 2021
- Full ‘Treatment’ on HBO Max - June 14, 2021
- Washington Heights Musical - June 11, 2021
- ‘Infinite’ Wahlberg on Paramount+ - June 9, 2021
- Romero’s Lost ‘Amusement Park’ - June 7, 2021
- HBO Max’s New ‘Conjuring’ Tale - June 4, 2021
- Peacock’s ‘Lady Parts’ Comedy - June 2, 2021
- WNBA Tips Off on Amazon - May 28, 2021
- Reanimated ‘Rugrats’ - May 26, 2021