Cross Woody Allen’s The Purple Rose of Cairo, where a movie star walks off the screen into real life, with Spike Jonze’s Being John Malkovich, where characters get into the head of a movie star, and you might end up with the Indian comedy RK/RKAY, opening virtually and in theaters today, May 14. A portion of each ticket sale will be donated to Covid-19 relief efforts in India.
So let’s get meta!
RK/RKAY was written and directed by Rajat Kapoor, who stars as a character named RK. RK is a writer/director who stars in his latest film as a character named Mahboob. The film-within-a-film, a retro tribute to the Indian cinema of the 1960s, has a high-maintenance female lead (Mallika Sherawat). While the film is being edited, Mahboob runs away from its cartoonish killers into the real world. RK finds Mahboob and takes him home to the wife and kids (who were hoping that RK’s film starred Johnny Depp).
For a list of locations where you can see RK/RKAY, either physically or virtually, visit outsiderpictures.us/movie/rk. If you see the film, you may also be interested in a free Q&A with Kapoor and Sherawat this Sunday at 7 pm ET. You can register for the Q&A at Zoom here.
(Top photo: Rajat Kapoor and Mallika Sherawat in ‘RK/RKAY,’ courtesy Outsider Pictures)
- Fredi Washington: ‘Ouanga’ - June 14, 2021
- Peacock Struts on JustWatch - June 11, 2021
- ‘Kevin Can F**k Himself’ - June 10, 2021
- IMDb TV’s ‘Timewasters’ - June 10, 2021
- Streamfire Channels Up - June 9, 2021
- Death, Afterlife, Healing - June 8, 2021
- Russians vs Cults on MHz - June 8, 2021
- Menachem Begin Documentary - June 4, 2021
- ‘Lisey’s Story’ Friday - June 3, 2021
- See Two Sides of Brazil - June 2, 2021