A sitcom about an aspirational Black working-class family (The Upshaws), a French sci-fi thriller (Oxygen) and a Mexican historical drama (Dance of the 41) arrive today, May 12, on Netflix.
Comedian Wanda Sykes delivers zingers in this show also starring Mike Epps as Bennie Upshaw, Syke’s brother-in-law mechanic who tries his best to raise a family in Indianapolis.
The Upshaw family includes Bennie’s wife Regina (The Facts of Life’s Kim Fields), his two daughters (Khali Daniya-Renee Spraggins, Journey Christine), a firstborn son (Jermelle Simon), and a teenage son (Diamond Lyons) by another woman (Gabrielle Dennis).
Sykes and Regina Hicks co-created the series and serve as executive producers, along with Epps, Page Hurwitz and Niles Kirchner.
In this 90-minute French sci-fi drama, a woman (Mélanie Laurent) wakes up in a cryogenic unit, fighting to survive and remember who she is before her oxygen runs out.
Oxygen also stars Mathieu Amalric, Malik Zidi and Marc Saez.
Alexandre Aja directed, and Christie LeBlanc wrote the script.
The film is in French with English subtitles.
Based on Mexico’s Ball of the Forty-One scandal in 1901, a secretly gay congressman marries the Mexican president’s daughter. An illegal police raid then finds the politician cavorting at a private party where men from high society are dressed in women’s clothing.
The cast includes Alfonso Herrera, Emiliano Zurita and Mabel Cadena.
The film is in Spanish with English subtitles.
(Top image: Wanda Sykes, Kim Fields and Mike Epps. Source: Netflix)
- Full ‘Treatment’ on HBO Max - June 14, 2021
- Washington Heights Musical - June 11, 2021
- ‘Infinite’ Wahlberg on Paramount+ - June 9, 2021
- Romero’s Lost ‘Amusement Park’ - June 7, 2021
- HBO Max’s New ‘Conjuring’ Tale - June 4, 2021
- Peacock’s ‘Lady Parts’ Comedy - June 2, 2021
- WNBA Tips Off on Amazon - May 28, 2021
- Reanimated ‘Rugrats’ - May 26, 2021
- Back ‘In Treatment’ - May 21, 2021
- Crackle Show Helps Debtors - May 19, 2021