In memory of Olympia Dukakis, who died this weekend at 89, the following is an updated article from July 2020, written on the occasion of the release of the feature documentary, Olympia.
Called a “compelling profile of a woman who’s defiantly marched to the beat of her own drum” by The Hollywood Reporter, Olympia follows the Oscar winner through her roles of actor, teacher, wife, mother and social activist.
Olympia, filmed from 2011 to 2014, features interviews with her Cemetery Club (1993) co-stars Diane Ladd and Lainie Kazan; her Tales of the City (all iterations, 1993-2019) co-star Laura Linney and writer Armistead Maupin; her cousin and 1988 Democratic Presidential nominee Michael Dukakis; and fellow thespians Whoopi Goldberg, Lynn Cohen, Austin Pendleton and Ed Asner.
Notably absent from the above list was anyone associated with Moonstruck (1987), the romcom film that earned Dukakis an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. Since Moonstruck may be the movie you’ll want to see before or after screening Olympia, we’ll feature it here. Here’s a scene with Best Actress winner Cher:
And here’s Olympia’s Oscar moment:
For more info on Olympia, visit olympiathefilm.com.
(Top photo: Olympia Dukakis in ‘Olympia.” Source: Facebook)
- ‘Petrunya,’ Unlikely Rebel - June 21, 2021
- Free ‘Weasel’ & ‘Monkey’ - June 18, 2021
- Stream ‘Cracka’ Free - June 18, 2021
- Revry Escorts ‘Strut’ 6/18 - June 17, 2021
- Lubin’s Silent Film Empire - June 17, 2021
- ‘Oral’ Pilot Reading 6/17 - June 16, 2021
- Welcome Back, ‘iCarly’ - June 15, 2021
- ‘Rent’ Comes to Cuba - June 15, 2021
- Fredi Washington: ‘Ouanga’ - June 14, 2021
- Peacock Struts on JustWatch - June 11, 2021