Ma Rainey: Mother of the Blues, a half-hour special about the real-life subject of the Netflix musical drama Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, debuts free today on KCBS, channel 2 in Los Angeles, at 7 pm PT. It will then be available to stream over the Grammy Museum’s Collection:live subscription service from tomorrow, April 13, through Saturday, May 1.
Ma Rainey: Mother of the Blues includes appearances by: Oscar-nominated Viola Davis, who plays Rainey in the Netfiix movie; Denzel Washington, one of the film’s producers; the Oscar-nominated hair, makeup and costume team; and music stars Bonnie Raitt, Branford Marsalis, Melissa Etheridge and Jimmy Jam.
The special promises “a deeper look at the real Ma Rainey – an incredible musician and pioneer, way ahead of her time, who overcame obstacles dealing with rights to her music, her sexuality, and her worth as a female in the 1920’s struggling to keep her band together.”
Collection:live costs $2.99 monthly or $29.99 annually after a three-day free trial, with proceeds benefiting music education. In the case of Ma Rainey, educators will have access through Collection:live to a “treasure trove of materials about Ma Rainey and have the opportunity to host ‘History of the Blues’ workshops.”
For more info, visit watch.grammymuseum.org.
Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, which also stars Golden Globe winner and Oscar nominee Chadwick Boseman, is available to Netflix subscribers.
(Top image source: Facebook video)
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021