The Nevers, a fantasy action series about people — mostly women – who are suddenly imbued with supernatural abilities both amazing and strange, premieres this Sunday, April 11, at 9 pm ET on HBO and its streaming sibling HBO Max.
There are six episodes in this first tranche, with another six episodes scheduled for later this year.
The setting is Victorian London. It’s 1899, three years after a strange earth-shaking event has bestowed special powers on a subset of the city’s residents. As with the X-Men who exist in another fictional universe, these “orphans,” aka the Touched, are considered an undesirable underclass (X-Women?) to be eliminated.
The orphans have two protectors: Widow Amalia True (Laura Donnelly), who knows how to throw a punch, and brilliant inventor Penance Adair (Ann Skelly). Meanwhile, police inspector Frank Mundi (Ben Chaplin) investigates a string of murders reportedly committed by Maladie (Amy Manson, below), a Touched and, allegedly, a serial killer.
The extensive cast of characters also includes:
- Lavinia Bidlow (Olivia Willliams), the wealthy funder of the orphanage where the Touched live.
- Hugo Swann (James Norton), owner of a shady establishment.
- Augustus “Augie” Bidlow (Tom Riley), Lavinia’s younger brother who harbors his own secret.
- Lord Gilbert Massen (Pip Torrens), a government official leading the crusade against the Touched.
- Edmund Hague (Denis O’Hare), a mad doctor searching for the source of the powers.
Joss Whedon created the series and wrote and directed several episodes.
HBO Max costs $14.99 a month, with a seven-day free trial. For more, visit HBOMax.com.
(Top image: Olivia Williams as Lavinia Bidlow. Source: HBO)
- ‘Dead’ Profiles and More - July 14, 2021
- Kratts, Dogs, Wild Museums - July 12, 2021
- Troubled in Paradise - July 9, 2021
- More U.S. Viewers Cut the Cord - July 7, 2021
- Binge July 4th TV - July 2, 2021
- Binge ‘Hamilton’ and More - July 1, 2021
- ‘Twilight Zone’ Holiday - June 30, 2021
- ‘Innocent’ Anthology Returns - June 23, 2021
- South Asian Streamer Launches - June 21, 2021
- Apple TV+ Gets ‘Physical’ - June 16, 2021