Amazon Prime’s new horror series Them, which premieres tomorrow, April 9, got me thinking about giant ants! Indeed, if Them is only half as good as Them!, the 1954 sci-fi classic featuring those mutated atomic bomb-irradiated insects, then Amazon Prime should have a hit on its hands.
Both Them! and Them feature scary visions of 1950s Los Angeles.
In the former, a bunch of white law enforcement folks and scientists try to stop giant human-killing bugs that kill humans, with the culminating scenes memorably taking place amid martial law in the Los Angeles Riverbed.
In the latter, a Black family facies one terror after another after moving from North Carolina into a lilly-white L.A. neighborhood. The monsters in Them include both the folks next door and otherworldly forces.
Them, consisting of 10 episodes, stars Deborah Ayorinde, Ashley Thomas, Alison Pill, Shahadi Wright Joseph, Melody Hurd and Ryan Kwanten.
Them!, clocking it at a tidy 94 minutes, stars James Whitmore, Edmund Gwenn, Joan Weldon, and James Arness.
Them is available to Amazon Prime subscribers starting April 9.
- Ex-Cons, Serious and Funny - April 9, 2021
- Them x 2 = Scary 1950s L.A. - April 8, 2021
- ‘Future People’ Are Here - April 8, 2021
- Stream ‘Midnight Cowboy’ - April 7, 2021
- Sex, Comics, Socialists - April 6, 2021
- ‘Wonderland’ on MHz Choice - April 6, 2021
- Free Doc Fest Kicks Off - April 2, 2021
- Fuse Sweat: ‘80s Workouts - April 1, 2021
- Queen of Sheba & Atom Man - March 31, 2021
- Take HBO’s ‘Last Cruise’ - March 30, 2021