With St. Patrick’s Day on Wednesday, a couple of Irish-based miniseries debut today and tomorrow on niche subscription streamers. Acorn TV’s Bloodlands is in English and color, while MHz Choice’s Grace Harte is in Gaelic Irish and black-and-white.
Bloodlands, four episodes, weekly on Mondays starting March 15.
In Northern Ireland, James Nesbitt plays a veteran detective trying to solve a notorious cold case: a series of disappearances, including his own wife’s, that occurred just prior to the 1998 Good Friday peace agreement that ended decades of violent conflict in the country.
Bloodlands has just completed its run on the UK’s BBC One.
Acorn TV costs $5.99 monthly, with a seven-day free trial. For more info, visit acorn.tv.
Grace Harte, three episodes, all dropping Tuesday, March 16.
On the west coast of Ireland, Grace and Leo (Kate Nic Chonaonaigh and Dara Devaney), a middle-aged couple with a rundown marriage, run a rundown hotel. When handsome young surfer Danny (Eoin O’Dubhghaill) arrives, Grace conspires with him to murder Leo.
Grace Harte ran originally on Ireland’s TG4 in 2017.
MHz Choice costs $7.99 monthly, with a seven-day free trial. But you can now get 50% off your first three months by using the promo code STPAT21. For more info, visit mhzchoice.com.
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021