BBC Select has launched as a subscription streamer with “all-new documentaries on culture, politics and ideas.”
The current lineup includes:
- The Rise of the Murdoch Dynasty, three 50-minute episodes promising “the inside story” of Rupert Murdoch’s global empire, which includes Fox News, The Wall Street Journal and the New York Post.
- TV’s Black Renaissance: Reggie Yates in Hollywood – an hour-long special in which the actor/DJ travels to Los Angeles to tackle how TV series with mostly Black casts like FX’s Atlanta, Netflix’s Dear White People and HBOs Insecure are “pioneering a new frankness about race and identity.” In the following clip, however, he speaks with Caleb McLaughlin of Netflix’s Stranger Things:
- Grayson Perry: Big American Road Trip, three hour-long episodes with the Brit (left) creating art while crossing the U.S. by motorcycle.
- Shock of the Nude, two hour-long episodes with Professor Mary Beard (right) giving a personal take on the nude in western art, from ancient Greece to the present.
- The Mystery of the Missing Princess, one 50-minute episode telling the story of Dubai’s Princess Latifa, who tried to escape from imprisonment at the hands of her father.
BBC Select also features The Drop, consisting of a weekly collection of shows around a given theme — plus a short film from one individual on the theme. The opener: Civil rights activist Alicia Garza on “Power.”
Future guest speakers will include Roxane Gay, Lionel Shriver, Malcolm Gladwell, Karl Ove Knausgaard, Ai Weiwei, Elif Shafak, Padma Lakshmi, Chuck D and Jamelle Bouie.
- 1 Year Ago; 10 Years Ago - March 8, 2021
- The Real World Homecoming - March 4, 2021
- Another Twist: Doozy, Defy - March 3, 2021
- Read Across America Day - March 2, 2021
- Over-the-Air Deaths, Birth - March 1, 2021
- ‘Pop My Pet’ on Discovery+ - March 1, 2021
- 1st Play Written by a Robot - February 25, 2021
- Tom and Jerry are Back - February 25, 2021
- Billie Eilish Launch Event - February 24, 2021
- BBC Select Launches - February 22, 2021