In the words of its theme song, “It’s time to meet the Muppets, on The Muppet Show tonight” – as all five seasons and 120 episodes of the 1976-1981 syndicated series debut on Disney+.
“It’s going to be great to welcome back longtime fans, and to give a new generation of fans a chance to see how we got our start, how Miss Piggy became a star and so much more,” said Kermit the Frog, who stars in the comedy-variety show with the aforementioned pig, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, the Swedish Chef, two old guys in the balcony named Statler and Waldorf, countless other Muppets, and a wide range of guest stars – including Steve Martin, Elton John, Liza Minnelli, Alice Cooper, Julie Andrews, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Gene Kelly and Mark Hamill.
The Muppet Show‘s second season won an Emmy for best comedy-variety or music series, and Rita Moreno won an Emmy for her guest appearance in season one. Here’s a clip from her show:
Peter Sellers and Bernadette Peters also received Emmy nominations for guest appearances during season two:
The Muppet Show joins a bevy of other Muppets content on Disney+, including: Muppets Now, the streamer’s new six-episode series; The Muppets, a 17-episode ABC series from 2015-2016; and several Muppets movies (with the notable exception of 1984’s The Muppets Take Manhattan).
You can access all of Disney+’s Muppets collection at disneyplus.com/franchise/the-muppets.
Disney+ costs $6.99 a month or $69.99 annually. A combo plan, $12.99 a month, consists of Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+.
(Top photo: Statler and Waldorf on ‘The Muppet Show.’ Source: IMDb)
- ‘College Bowl,’ Now & Then - June 22, 2021
- Celebrate Dino’s Birthday - June 7, 2021
- Police Satires on Decades - June 3, 2021
- Saluting Josephine Baker - May 28, 2021
- See a Rod Serling Rarity - May 27, 2021
- Halston Biopic on Netflix - May 13, 2021
- French Film Noir Streams - May 3, 2021
- ‘The Best of Bugs Bunny’ - April 30, 2021
- Sleeping with Netflix - April 28, 2021
- ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ Returns - April 27, 2021