Miss live theater?
TheSharedScreen, a Covid-driven nonprofit, will share its screen with you starting tonight with the first of six free February live performances of Stephen Belber’s 1999 play Tape. The show, about three self-absorbed people reckoning with the unresolved trauma of a high school love triangle a decade earlier, has now been adapted from a motel room setting to a video call.
Tape will be performed the next three Friday and Saturday nights, through February 20, at 8 pm ET. The play previously ran for multiple performances in September and December, so you could call this month’s dates an extended run.
The show runs 90 minutes with no intermission. A “lobby,” with music and virtual Playbill, opens at 7:30 pm. Each performance is followed by a live talkback session.
If the plot of Tape sounds vaguely familiar, it may be because Richard Linklater directed Belber’s screen adaptation of his play in 2001. That Tape, starring Uma Thurman, Ethan Hawke and Robert Sean Leonard, can be streamed by Amazon Prime subscribers or rented for $3.99 from various providers.
TheSharedScreen calls its production of Tape “a stunning demonstration of the intense intimacy and hidden potential of virtual theater.” Let us know what you think in the Comments section below.
You can get your free tickets at thesharedscreen.com/tickets.
Tape is directed by John Dapolito and stars Chelsea J. Smith, Travis Schweiger and Neal Davidson.
(Content advisory: Strong language, discussion of sexual content and rape, and depiction of drug use and alcohol consumption.)
(Top image source TheSharedScreen.com)
- 1 Year Ago; 10 Years Ago - March 8, 2021
- The Real World Homecoming - March 4, 2021
- Another Twist: Doozy, Defy - March 3, 2021
- Read Across America Day - March 2, 2021
- Over-the-Air Deaths, Birth - March 1, 2021
- ‘Pop My Pet’ on Discovery+ - March 1, 2021
- 1st Play Written by a Robot - February 25, 2021
- Tom and Jerry are Back - February 25, 2021
- Billie Eilish Launch Event - February 24, 2021
- BBC Select Launches - February 22, 2021