Today: The Savvy Screener concludes its showcase of fan favorite stories for 2020 by revisiting our most-read topic: a charming series from Denmark.
When we wrote about the fifth season debut of Walter Presents: Seaside Hotel (Badehotellet) on Amazon Prime’s add-on channel PBS Masterpiece last June, we immediately received inquiries from readers: ‘Hey, how long do we have to wait for season six?’
The six-episode sixth season finally made its appearance in November.
If you’re new to the show, Seaside Hotel is a cross between Downton Abbey and Agatha Christie. The story starts in the 1920s when an 18-year-old (Rosalind Mynster) takes a job as chambermaid at a rural beach hotel in Denmark. Ignoring her father’s warnings, she mingles with the guests, learning the secrets that belie the idyllic setting around her.
Season five unfolded in the summer of 1932 when two new hotel guests, a famous couple called the Molins (Søren Sætter-Lassen and Lisa Werlinder), disrupted the regulars’ routines.
Things get a bit more ominous in season six. As the regulars relax, a second world war looms. Against that backdrop, we learn:
- Amanda Berggren (Amalie Dollerup) is trying to keep her small commercial film company afloat, without much help from her sister (Julie Brochorst Andersen).
- Mrs. Frigh (Anette Støvelbæk), now the manager of the tobacco factory, has big plans for her son (Lue Dittmann Støvelbæk), but he’s busy having a summer fling with the new maid (Laura Kjær).
- Actor Edward Weyse (Jens Jacob Tychsen) is trying to overcome an embarrassing case of stage fright.
- Wholesaler Therese Madsen (Anne Louise Hassing) hopes to build in Nazi Germany, while Olga Fjeldsø (Birthe Neumann) tries to help her daughter-in-law’s brother, an Austrian Jew who escaped a Nazi concentration camp.
Seaside Hotel is in Danish with English subtitles.
Amazon Prime and Prime Video subscribers can get PBS Masterpiece for an additional $5.99 a month following a seven-day free trial.
An Amazon Prime membership costs $12.99 month/$119 annually and includes the streaming service, free shipping and other benefits. An Amazon Video membership costs $8.99 a month just for the streamer. For more information, visit Amazon.
(Top image: ‘Seaside Hotel.’ Source: PBS Distribution)
(The preceding is an updated version of a previously published article.)
- Live Longer and Prosper - May 10, 2021
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021