Through Wednesday, The Savvy Screener is showcasing the stories that were most popular with our readers in 2020. Today: a reprise of a May article about streaming Sweet Magnolias…and Steel Magnolias.
Sweet Magnolias, a 10-episode romance drama based on a Harlequin book series by Sherryl Woods, has debuted on Netflix.
JoAnna Garcia Swisher, Brooke Elliott and Heather Headley star as three lifelong friends juggling relationships, family and careers in a small Southern town.
Incidentally, if the show’s title made you think of 1989’s Steel Magnolias, a comedy-drama about a group of women in a small Southern town, you can see that movie with a Fubo TV or Amazon Prime subscription, or rent it for $3.99 from various providers. Julia Roberts won a Golden Globe for her performance.
And you can see a 1990 failed CBS TV pilot right here. The cast includes Laverne & Shirley’s Cindy Williams:
For more on the new Sweet Magnolias, visit Netflix.com/SweetMagnolias.
(Top photo: ‘Sweet Magnolias.’ Source: Netflix)
(The preceding is an updated version of a previously published article.)
- ’76 Days’ 366 Days Later - January 22, 2021
- Finding ‘Losing Alice’ - January 22, 2021
- Anna Paquin’s a ‘Flack’ - January 21, 2021
- ‘Celebrating America’ - January 20, 2021
- Dramas of Lebanon - January 20, 2021
- Inaugural Speech Binge - January 19, 2021
- You’ve Got Uvagut TV! - January 19, 2021
- ‘Black Vote Rising’ - January 18, 2021
- Bruce Lee Tribute Weekend - January 14, 2021
- The Grio Douses Light TV - January 13, 2021