Through Wednesday, The Savvy Screener is showcasing the stories that were most popular with our readers in 2020. Today: a reprise of a May article about streaming Sweet Magnolias…and Steel Magnolias.
Sweet Magnolias, a 10-episode romance drama based on a Harlequin book series by Sherryl Woods, has debuted on Netflix.
JoAnna Garcia Swisher, Brooke Elliott and Heather Headley star as three lifelong friends juggling relationships, family and careers in a small Southern town.
Incidentally, if the show’s title made you think of 1989’s Steel Magnolias, a comedy-drama about a group of women in a small Southern town, you can see that movie with a Fubo TV or Amazon Prime subscription, or rent it for $3.99 from various providers. Julia Roberts won a Golden Globe for her performance.
And you can see a 1990 failed CBS TV pilot right here. The cast includes Laverne & Shirley’s Cindy Williams:
For more on the new Sweet Magnolias, visit Netflix.com/SweetMagnolias.
(Top photo: ‘Sweet Magnolias.’ Source: Netflix)
(The preceding is an updated version of a previously published article.)
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021