Through December 30, The Savvy Screener is showcasing the stories that were most popular with our readers in 2020.
Today, we turn to our fourth most-read story — a look at a crime series set in the Australian outback — and its predecessor movie.
Mystery Road, the six-episode show, debuted on Acorn TV in August.
The Sydney Morning Herald said of the series, “If Fargo were to swap the snow for red dirt, it might look something like this.”
The show, which first aired in June on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, stars Oscar nominee Judy Davis (Husbands and Wives, A Passage to India) as local cop Emma James, and Aaron Pedersen as detective Jay Swan. They partner to investigate the disappearance of two young workers at a remote cattle station, colloquially known as jackaroos. Soon the investigators uncover a legacy of crimes and justice denied and learn “that you have to be truthful about your past to understand your present, and to have any sort of future.”
Mystery Road the Movie
Pederson originally played Detective Swan in Mystery Road, a 2013 film.
Swan is a newly minted detective looking into the murder of a teenage aboriginal girl named Julie Mason. Swan soon learns that she was a drug addict who would have sex with truck drivers for money. He then observes his colleagues, Johnno (The Matrix‘s Hugo Weaving) and Robbo (Robert Mammone), engaging in suspicious behavior.
You can watch this Mystery Road for free, with ads, on Popcornflix.
(Top image: Judy Davis in ‘Mystery Road.’ Source: YouTube video)
(The preceding is an updated version of a previously published article.)
- Identity, Illusion, Secrets - January 22, 2021
- Cartoons, Crimes, Crises - January 20, 2021
- Covid Accelerates Cord-Cutting - January 15, 2021
- Still Searching on HBO Max - January 13, 2021
- ‘Finding Joy,’ ‘Love’ - January 11, 2021
- Peabody Poet Returns - January 8, 2021
- Chiklis in ‘Coyote’ Drama - January 6, 2021
- ‘Real-life’ Streamer Bows - January 4, 2021
- #1: ‘Seaside Hotel’ - December 30, 2020
- #4: ‘Mystery Road'(s) - December 24, 2020