Fans of the long-running Canadian turn-of-the-20th-Century police procedural Murdoch Mysteries — and of classical music — will get a special gift Christmas Eve when Acorn TV premieres A Music Lover’s Guide to Murdoch Mysteries.
Hosted by star Yannick Bisson in character as Detective William Murdoch, the one-hour special will feature a seven-piece ensemble from the Toronto Symphony Orchestra playing theme music from the show as well as classical pieces that were popular during the Victorian and Edwardian eras from such composers as Brahms, Ravel, Tchaikovsky and Strauss.
Between pieces, which will be accompanied by visuals from the series, Detective Murdoch will provide whimsical anecdotes about the composers and their featured works
If you don’t subscribe to Acorn TV, A Music Lover’s Guide to Murdoch Mysteries will also be available free on Murdoch Mysteries‘ Facebook page starting a week later, December 31.
Season 14 of Murdoch Mysteries will premiere January 4 on Canada’s CBC, but the U.S. premiere date on Acorn TV has not yet been announced. Until then, Acorn TV subscribers can see all 211 episodes from the first 13 seasons. Ten seasons are also available on Hulu, and 22 seasons on free library streamer Hoopla TV.
You can also watch Murdoch Mysteries free via several over-the-air channels, which are accessible via an antenna hooked up to your TV set.
- Ion Plus: All day Fridays from 11 am to 1 am ET (but not Christmas Day), plus a continuing marathon all New Year’s weekend. To find your local channel, click on “Find Ion Plus” at ionplustv.com.
- Cozi TV: 4 am ET, Sunday mornings. For your local channel number, visit Get Cozi TV.
- Retro TV: 1 am and 10 pm ET Fridays, and 9 pm Saturdays. Visit myretrotv.com/affiliates for local channel numbers.
- On local broadcasters like WABC-TV, channel 7, in New York, which airs the series Monday mornings at 2 am.
(Top photo: Yanick Bisson with musicians on the set of ‘Murdoch Mysteries,’ courtesy Acorn TV)
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021