Dylan McDermott (Netflix’s Hollywood) and Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show) star in a reading of Tennessee Williams’ 1961 Broadway play The Night of the Iguana, streaming tomorrow, December 2, through Sunday, December 6.
McDermott plays Rev. Lawrence Shannon, an ex-minister now leading a group of female tourists in Acapulco, Mexico. Rashad is Maxine, who runs a hotel where the group spends a stormy night –in more ways than one. Maxine lusts after Shannon who, shunned by the other tourists for having sex with a 16-year-old member of their group, Charlotte (Carmen Berkeley), forms a bond with spinster painter/artist Hannah (Jean Lichty). Austin Pendleton plays Hannah’s 97-year-old grandfather/poet Nonno, and Roberta Maxwell is Charlotte’s butchy chaperone Judith.
The original Broadway production starred Patrick O’Neal as Rev. Shannon, Bette Davis as Maxine, and Margaret Leighton in a Tony Award-winning performance as Hannah.
Richard Chamberlain starred in a 1976 Broadway revival, but the best-known Rev. Shannon is undoubtedly another Richard – Richard Burton – who gives a riveting performance in John Huston’s 1964 film adaptation. The movie’s cast also includes Ava Gardner as Maxine, Deborah Kerr as Hannah, Sue Lyon as Charlotte, and Grayson Hall in an Oscar-nominated performance as Judith.
The following is touted as the “50th best trailer of all time”:
You can stream the new production of The Night of the Iguana starting tomorrow through Sunday for a minimum donation of $10 to The Actors Fund. For more info and to donate/view, visit LaFemmeTheatreProductions.org.
(Top photo source: La Femme Theatre Productions YouTube video)
- ’76 Days’ 366 Days Later - January 22, 2021
- Finding ‘Losing Alice’ - January 22, 2021
- Anna Paquin’s a ‘Flack’ - January 21, 2021
- ‘Celebrating America’ - January 20, 2021
- Dramas of Lebanon - January 20, 2021
- Inaugural Speech Binge - January 19, 2021
- You’ve Got Uvagut TV! - January 19, 2021
- ‘Black Vote Rising’ - January 18, 2021
- Bruce Lee Tribute Weekend - January 14, 2021
- The Grio Douses Light TV - January 13, 2021