(Above: ‘Seaside Hotel.’ Source: PBS Distribution)
A favorite of Savvy Screener readers, Walter Presents: Seaside Hotel (Badehotellet) returns for a six-episode sixth season today on Amazon Prime’s add-on channel PBS Masterpiece.
If you’re new to the show, Seaside Hotel is a cross between Downton Abbey and Agatha Christie. The story starts in the 1920s when an 18-year-old (Rosalind Mynster) takes a job as chambermaid at a rural beach hotel in Denmark. Ignoring her father’s warnings, she mingles with the guests, learning the secrets that belie the idyllic setting around her.
Season five unfolded in the summer of 1932 when two new hotel guests, a famous couple called the Molins (Søren Sætter-Lassen and Lisa Werlinder), disrupted the regulars’ routines.
Things get a bit more ominous in season six. As the regulars relax, a second world war looms. Against that backdrop, we learn:
- Amanda Berggren (Amalie Dollerup) is trying to keep her small commercial film company afloat, without much help from her sister (Julie Brochorst Andersen).
- Mrs. Frigh (Anette Støvelbæk), now the manager of the tobacco factory, has big plans for her son (Lue Dittmann Støvelbæk), but he’s busy having a summer fling with the new maid (Laura Kjær).
- Actor Edward Weyse (Jens Jacob Tychsen) is trying to overcome an embarrassing case of stage fright.
- Wholesaler Therese Madsen (Anne Louise Hassing) hopes to build in Nazi Germany, while Olga Fjeldsø (Birthe Neumann) tries to help her daughter-in-law’s brother, an Austrian Jew who escaped a Nazi concentration camp.
Seaside Hotel is in Danish with English subtitles.
Amazon Prime and Prime Video subscribers can get PBS Masterpiece for an additional $5.99 a month following a seven-day free trial.
An Amazon Prime membership costs $12.99 month/$119 annually and includes the streaming service, free shipping and other benefits. An Amazon Video membership costs $8.99 a month just for the streamer. For more information, visit Amazon.
- Monstrous Adaptations - November 30, 2020
- HBO Max’s Thanksgiving Feast - November 25, 2020
- Laurel & Hardy Thanksgiving - November 23, 2020
- ‘Seaside Hotel’ 6 on Prime - November 20, 2020
- Hulu’s Syrian War Drama - November 18, 2020
- British Justice on Acorn - November 16, 2020
- Decades’ ‘Streets’ Binge - November 13, 2020
- Native American Stories - November 11, 2020
- ‘Mighty’ Backyard on Hulu - November 9, 2020
- PBS Kids in November - November 6, 2020