(Above: Razane Jammal and Ahmed Amin in ‘Paranormal.’ Source: Netflix)
A bit late for Halloween, but Paranormal, a six-episode thriller based on books (Ma Waraa al Tabiaa) by the late Egyptian author Ahmed Khaled Tawfik, debuts tomorrow, November 5, on Netflix.
Set in the 1960s, Ahmed Amin plays Refaat Ismail, a sardonic hematologist whose lifelong scientific convictions are challenged by otherworldly experiences. Each episode is a separate story in which Refaat, accompanied by his university colleague, Scottish physicist Maggie Mckillop (Razane Jammal), seeks to debunk urban legends while saving loved ones from paranormal dangers. Refaat denies not only the supernatural, but his true feelings for Maggie.
The cast also includes Aya Samaha as Refaat’s fiancé and Samaa Ibrahem as Refaat’s sister.
In Arabic with English subtitles, Paranormal is Netflix’s first original Egyptian series.
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021