(Photo: Lisa Friede in ‘Spookies.’ Source: Screen Slate)
Screen Slate, New York City’s alternative film listings/essay site which has converted into “Stream Slate” during the pandemic, will offer a free Twitch stream of 1985 horror film Spookies followed by a discussion about genre film preservation tomorrow, October 29, at 8 pm ET.
Co-presented by Vinegar Syndrome, a restorer and distributor of cult films, Spookies starts with — what else? — a car breakdown outside an eerie house, and includes a Ouija board, black magic, demonic creatures, supernatural oddities, and lots of gruesome deaths
The conversation and Q&A, with Vinegar Syndrome film archivist Justin LaLiberty and Screen Slate editor/media archivist Jon Dieringer, will tackle the restoration of Spookies, as well as the intricacies of tracking down rare films, untangling rights, and locating and restoring film elements.
Stream Slate has been hosting free streams and discussions of avant-garde and art cinema on many Thursdays since May, with the next, November 12 at 8:30 pm, titled “Out of the Ether: Kerry Laitala.”
To view Spookies and the discussion at 8 pm ET on October 29, visit twitch.tv/screenslate.
- ‘College Bowl,’ Now & Then - June 22, 2021
- Celebrate Dino’s Birthday - June 7, 2021
- Police Satires on Decades - June 3, 2021
- Saluting Josephine Baker - May 28, 2021
- See a Rod Serling Rarity - May 27, 2021
- Halston Biopic on Netflix - May 13, 2021
- French Film Noir Streams - May 3, 2021
- ‘The Best of Bugs Bunny’ - April 30, 2021
- Sleeping with Netflix - April 28, 2021
- ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ Returns - April 27, 2021