(Photo: Lisa Friede in ‘Spookies.’ Source: Screen Slate)
Screen Slate, New York City’s alternative film listings/essay site which has converted into “Stream Slate” during the pandemic, will offer a free Twitch stream of 1985 horror film Spookies followed by a discussion about genre film preservation tomorrow, October 29, at 8 pm ET.
Co-presented by Vinegar Syndrome, a restorer and distributor of cult films, Spookies starts with — what else? — a car breakdown outside an eerie house, and includes a Ouija board, black magic, demonic creatures, supernatural oddities, and lots of gruesome deaths
The conversation and Q&A, with Vinegar Syndrome film archivist Justin LaLiberty and Screen Slate editor/media archivist Jon Dieringer, will tackle the restoration of Spookies, as well as the intricacies of tracking down rare films, untangling rights, and locating and restoring film elements.
Stream Slate has been hosting free streams and discussions of avant-garde and art cinema on many Thursdays since May, with the next, November 12 at 8:30 pm, titled “Out of the Ether: Kerry Laitala.”
To view Spookies and the discussion at 8 pm ET on October 29, visit twitch.tv/screenslate.
- Andra Day’s Billie Holiday - February 23, 2021
- ‘The Muppet Show’ Tonight! - February 19, 2021
- ‘Tell Me Your Secrets’ - February 18, 2021
- ‘Nomadland’ Lands on Hulu - February 16, 2021
- Streaming ‘Blithe Spirit’ - February 15, 2021
- Fame’s Gonna Live Forever! - February 11, 2021
- A Western Roundup - February 4, 2021
- Honored Hal Holbrook Roles - February 2, 2021
- Remembering Cicely Tyson - January 28, 2021
- HBO Max’s ‘Possessions’ - January 28, 2021