(Above: Portland’s House of Sarcasm. Credit: Thanin Viriyaki Photography)
Streaming this weekend from two of the US Justice Department’s “anarchist jurisdictions”: the Portland Weird Homes Tour and the NYC Anarchist Book Fair and Film Festival.
Portland Weird Homes Tour
Not only is Portland “anarchist,” but the Oregon city is also apparently “the weirdest city in America.” Tomorrow, September 26, you can judge for yourself by going on the virtual Portland Weird Homes Tour.
For $25, a portion of which will benefit Central City Concern’s fight for affordable housing, you’ll get to explore Dome Home, House of Serendipity, Old Grange Hall, the Portland Puppet Museum, Slabtown Village, Plastorm (shown above), Twilight Swan House, and, perhaps appropriate for this article, the House of Sarcasm.
To attend, visit weirdhomestour.com/tour/portland, buy your ticket, and you’ll receive an entrance link an hour before the 1 pm to 9 pm ET event occurs. Homes will be shown on an hourly schedule in the order they’re listed above, with live Q&As, but you’ll be able to watch the tours of any of the homes for two weeks after the event ends.
New York City Anarchist Book Fair and Film Festival
A virtual edition of the annual NYC Anarchist Book Fair starts today. The event includes the Emma Goldman Anarchist Film Festival, with 24 films from the Western Hemisphere streaming free through Monday, October 5. Here’s a trailer for Calidris, a feature film about the lives of two Brazilian immigrants in New York City:
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021