(Above source: IMDb)
To salute ’50s B movie icon Lori Nelson, who died last month at 87, we showcase free films on The Film Detective, reveal where to rent Revenge of the Creature, and offer an episode of How to Marry a Millionaire right here.
The Film Detective Trio
Free streamer The Film Detective is honoring Nelson by offering two of her theatrical films, both from 1956 – Hot Rod Girl (action) and Mohawk (adventure) — and one TV movie, the 1957 Technicolor NBC musical, The Pied Piper of Hamelin.
The three films can be seen starting at noon this Saturday, September 12, over The Film Detective’s 24/7 channel, available on Sling, Stirr and DistroTV, or any time this month on-demand by clicking the links above. In addition to the web, The Film Detective is also available via apps for iOS, Roku, Fire TV and Apple TV.
Return of the Creature
Notably absent from The Film Detective’s list is Lori Nelson’s most well-known film: the 1955 3D horror/sci-fi cult favorite Return of the Creature. Also noted for featuring Clint Eastwood’s first appearance, it can be rented (not in 3D, though) for $2.99 by Amazon Prime subscribers, for $3.99 on Amazon (for non-subscribers), and also for $3.99 from iTunes, Google Play, YouTube, FandangoNow, Vudu and Microsoft.
3D glasses are suggested for the trailer below
How to Marry a Millionaire
Nelson also starred in one TV series, the first season (39 episodes, 1956-1957) of the sitcom, How to Marry a Millionaire, based on the 1953 film of the same name. Also noted as Barbara Eden’s (I Dream of Jeannie) first series, the show ran in syndication and on the fledgling NTA Film Network.
Here’s episode one:
- ‘Enola Holmes’ on Netflix - September 23, 2020
- High Holy Days Online - September 18, 2020
- ‘Black Emperor’ Q&A - September 15, 2020
- Lone Ranger: Wear a Mask! - September 11, 2020
- A Salute to Lori Nelson - September 10, 2020
- ‘N.Y.P.D.’ Weekend Binge - September 9, 2020
- Sharon Stone vs. Mae West - August 24, 2020
- ‘Ridgemont High’ Reading - August 21, 2020
- Two Westerns Expand Reach - August 20, 2020
- Quentin Lee Q&A - August 18, 2020