(Above source: Vimeo video)
Boomers might know Bess Myerson best as a long-time panelist on I’ve Got a Secret (CBS, 1958-1967), but be prepared to meet her as The One and Only Jewish Miss America, a new 51-minute documentary of that title streaming free on Vimeo.
This coming Tuesday, September 8, will mark the 75th anniversary of Myerson’s achievement, and New York’s Museum of Jewish Heritage will mark the occasion at 7 pm ET with an online discussion.
The film’s director/producer David Arond will host Myerson’s daughter, actor/screenwriter Barra Grant (Love Hurts); Abraham Foxman, director emeritus of the Anti-Defamation League; and Brian Levin, director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism and a criminal justice professor at California State University, San Bernardino.
To register for the event, which has a suggested donation of $10 to the museum, visit mjhnyc.org.
The movie covers Myerson’s unexpected participation in the pageant and momentous win just months after the liberation of Nazi death camps, the anti-Semitism she then encountered, including the withdrawal of support from corporate sponsors, and her subsequent work to end such discrimination.
For more info, visit JewishMissAmerica.com.
- Burlesque Fest Oct. 1-4 - September 29, 2020
- Herb Alpert Doc Free 10/1 - September 29, 2020
- ‘God’s Wrecking Ball’ - September 28, 2020
- Grandfather of the Bride? - September 25, 2020
- Anarchist Dispatches - September 25, 2020
- Amazon’s Utopian Vision - September 24, 2020
- Women’s Cancer Benefit - September 24, 2020
- Thursday’s for the Dogs - September 22, 2020
- Tales of Two ‘Doctors’ - September 21, 2020
- ‘Spides’ Free on Crackle - September 17, 2020