(Above source: YouTube video)
“The system is rigged.”
It’s possible you might here those words once again tonight during President Donald Trump’s nominating convention acceptance speech.
Although a familiar Trump applause line, it’s also the message of a short video, Unbreaking America: Divided We Fall, delivered by actor Michael Douglas with a livid passion that brings to mind his fed-up everyman in Falling Down.
Late last year, Douglas teamed with the self-described “right-left anti-corruption” non-profit RepresentUs to indict the national body politic and rally voters to become more involved in their communities and/or donate money to the cause of changing the status quo.
The film blames “special interests, lobbyists, and the political establishment” who “control the money, debates, primaries and draw voting districts” for a political system “so gridlocked that it blocks meaningful progress on the most pressing issues” such as health care and the national debt.
The answer, the video says, is in passing The American Anti-Corruption Act in enough states to bring about federal change. The act, among other things, calls for independent redistricting commissions, eliminating lobbyist donations to politicians, term limits and automatic voter registration.
You can watch the 10-minute video here:
(The above is a revision of a previously published article.)
- Shudder’s Price-y Binge - September 30, 2020
- Making the Electoral Sausage - September 28, 2020
- Beware the Jelly Monsters - September 25, 2020
- Happy Birthday, John Bunny - September 24, 2020
- The Virtual Play’s the Thing - September 23, 2020
- Vigilante Killer? - September 21, 2020
- Nurse Ratched Returns! - September 18, 2020
- Unholy Backwater, Batman! - September 16, 2020
- Facebooking with ‘Steve’ - September 14, 2020
- ‘Miscast,’ but in a Good Way - September 11, 2020