(Photo: Sean Penn and Ray Walston in ‘Fast Times at Ridgemont High.’ Source: IMDb)
Sean Penn and a socially distanced reunion of former married couple Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt will highlight Feelin’ A-Live, a free virtual table reading of Cameron Crowe’s script for Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
The 1982 coming-of-age dramedy featured Penn’s breakout role as perpetually stoned surfer Jeff Spicoli, but he’ll be reading another character when the event streams tonight at 8 pm ET on the Web, Facebook and TikTok.
Script readers will also include Julia Roberts, John Legend, Matthew McConaughey, Jimmy Kimmel, Morgan Freeman, Ray Liotta, Henry Golding, Shia LaBeouf, and Dane Cook, the event’s executive co-producer. Feelin’ A-Live will be introduced by Crowe (Almost Famous. Jerry Maguire), who based the film on his own autobiographical book, and by director Amy Heckerling (Clueless, Look Who’s Talking).
Notable by their absence: any of Penn’s numerous co-stars in the movie, such as Phoebe Cates, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Eric Stoltz, Judge Reinhold, Amanda Wyss, Nicolas Cage, Anthony Edwards and Forest Whitaker.
To see all of them do Fast Times at Ridgemont High, plus the late Ray Walston as Penn’s history teacher nemesis, you’ll need to access the original film. It’s available to Starz subscribers, or for $3.99 from numerous sources.
The table read will benefit two nonprofits: co-founder Penn’s emergency relief group CORE, and REFORM, focused on the criminal justice system and protecting the incarcerated population from the spread of Covid-19.
- Jack Benny Binge Weekend - October 23, 2020
- Borat’s Premiere Party - October 22, 2020
- Q&A: Silents Streaming - October 16, 2020
- Beauties and the Beasts - October 16, 2020
- Schreck’s Prime Play - October 14, 2020
- Binge Zone, Burns & Allen - October 8, 2020
- ‘John Lennon Tribute’ Q&A - October 6, 2020
- ‘Enola Holmes’ on Netflix - September 23, 2020
- High Holy Days Online - September 18, 2020
- ‘Black Emperor’ Q&A - September 15, 2020