(Above: It’s a ‘Bonanza’ of classic TV for NYC over-the-air viewers with the arrival of Retro TV and CRTV)
Another free classic TV channel is now available to over-the-air viewers in the New York City Metro: Retro TV, which recently debuted over channel 33.5.
Retro TV itself, however, isn’t new. It’s been around since 2005, which makes it the oldest over-the-air classic TV channel, pre-dating Antenna TV, Me TV, Cozi TV, GetTV and others.
Content on Retro TV includes The Green Hornet, The Doctors, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, The Lone Ranger, Doctor Who, One Step Beyond,’ Ray Bradbury Theater, Bonanza, The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and The Lucy Show.
Speaking of the last four series, over-the-air viewers in the New York Metro can now see public domain episodes of each of them repeating seemingly ad infinitum, but interspersed with infomercials, on channel 48.4.
Identified only as CRTV, The Savvy Screener research team has determined that this stands for Cesari Response Television, a service from direct response TV pioneer Rick Cesari.
Here, from the first of 14 Bonanza seasons (NBC, 1959-1960), is the public domain episode, “The Fear Merchants.” It pits the Cartwright clan against an anti-immigrant politician who wants all foreigners out of Virginia City:
New York viewers can watch Retro TV, CRTV, or both channels over the air for free by hooking an antenna up to their TV sets.
To see if Retro TV’s broadcast service is available in other areas and on what channel numbers, visit myretrotv.com/affiliates.
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021