(Above: The ’30 Rock’ cast. Source: NBC)
Seven years after it left the air, 30 Rock returns to NBC tomorrow, July 16, for a one-hour special designed to promote the network’s 2020-2021 season. Or is the special really promoting Peacock, NBCUniversal’s streaming service which launched this morning?
Vulture reported yesterday that NBC stations reaching more than half the country won’t air the 8 pm ET special because Peacock is considered a competitor for their viewers. The revolt doesn’t affect the top ten markets, where NBC owns its broadcast stations.
Incidentally, all seven seasons of 30 Rock (2006-2013) are now free on Peacock, which you can access following a quick and easy registration. The series also continues to be available ad-free to Amazon Prime and Hulu subscribers. Note that while all seven seasons can be streamed on the three services, four of the 138 episodes were recently withdrawn from circulation due to characters appearing in blackface.
30 Rock, a sitcom centered around a fictional late-night show on NBC, was named after New York’s 30 Rockefeller Plaza, where NBC has its headquarters. Its five stars – Tina Fey (Liz Lemon), Alec Baldwin (Jack Donaghy), Tracy Morgan (Tracy Jordan), Jane Krakowski (Jenna Maroney) and Jack McBrayer (Kenneth Parcell) — will recreate their original roles on the July 16 show, which is also serving as a substitute for the usual in-person “upfront presentation” to advertisers.
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021