(Above: Ultraman’s first appearance on TV, July 10, 1966)
Friday, July 10, is Ultraman Day, marking the 54th anniversary of the superhero’s first appearance on Japanese TV.
You can celebrate with a four-hour special on Shu.Watch from 1-5 pm ET.
The show will include:
- Excerpts from The Birth of Ultraman, which aired in Japan on July 10, 1966, and will debut tomorrow on a $29.99 Blu-Ray collection that includes other episodes of the original series.
- A demonstration of how to do the Spacium Beam, Ultraman’s signature move, by Bin Furuya, the first actor to portray the iconic character. Plus appearances by other Ultraman actors Hiroko Sakurai and Susumu Kurobe.
- Conversations with Marvel Comics editor-in-chief C.B. Cebulski, editor Tom Brevoort, and writers Kyle Higgins and Mat Groom, the team behind Marvel’s upcoming The Rise of Ultraman comic series launching in September;
For a complete schedule, visit Shu.Watch, but note that times on the site are PT.
Where to Stream Ultraman
The cult “superhero vs. monster” series has seen several incarnations since 1966. Here are some currently available for streaming in the US.
Ultraman (39 episodes, 1966-1967). Buy the complete season from Amazon
Ultraman Leo (51 episodes,1974-1975). Stream the entire series free on Shout Factory TV. You can see the first episode right here:
Ultraman Geed (25 episodes, 2017). Buy the complete season from Amazon for $29.99, or pay $1.99 apiece for individual episodes.
Ultraman, the anime reboot (13 episodes, 2019). Watch the first season with a Netflix subscription. The streamer has renewed the series for a second season.
- The Red Rose of Mumbai? - May 14, 2021
- Rotten Tomatoes Channel - May 13, 2021
- 85 Years of Wavy Gravy - May 12, 2021
- We Clap for ‘Clipped’ - May 11, 2021
- A Canary Islands Thriller - May 11, 2021
- Guide to ‘Those Who Kill’ - May 10, 2021
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021