(Pictured above: Ian Kahn as George Washington in ‘TURN.’ Source: YouTube video)
Yesterday, The Savvy Screener recommended July 4th-themed movies that capture the spirit of the holiday.
Today we present the second article in a two-part series as we focus on two binge-worthy TV series: AMC’s TURN and HBO’s John Adams.
TURN: Washington’s Spies (2014 to 2017)
“Hush, hush.” AMC’s compelling historical thriller series, based on an actual Revolutionary War-period American spy ring, aired for four 10-episode seasons. The series features Long Island, NY cabbage farmer Abraham Woodhull, aka rebel spy Samuel Culper, leading the ring trying to pass intelligence across enemy lines to General George Washington. Jamie Bell plays Woodhull, Kevin McNally is his loyalist father Judge Richard Woodhull, and Ian Kahn is Washington. This is a favorite of The Savvy Screener.
Where can you watch TURN?
John Adams (2008)
HBO’s seven-part miniseries follows John Adams from his early days as a lawyer defending British troops on trial for the Boston Massacre, through the Revolution, his one-term presidency and, finally, his retirement years. A star performance by Paul Giamatti as Adams, with Laura Linney as the nation’s second First Lady, Tom Wilkinson as Ben Franklin and David Morse as George Washington.
Where can you watch John Adams?
(Note: This is an updated version of a previously published article.)
- Videos for Generation Alpha - August 4, 2020
- Bloody Disgusting Streamer - August 3, 2020
- The Muppets Do Improv - July 31, 2020
- Decades ‘Odd Couple’ Binge - July 30, 2020
- Cubers’ Winning Friendship - July 29, 2020
- Jeffrey Epstein Story - July 28, 2020
- Brit Week on Hulu - July 27, 2020
- RIP, Olivia de Havilland - July 26, 2020
- This Web Series is ‘NC-16’ - July 24, 2020
- A Horrific Inheritance - July 23, 2020