(Photo source: New York Sports Tours)
Here’s one for deprived New York Yankees fans, or baseball fans in general:
For $19.20 this Thursday, June 25, at 6 pm ET, you can get onboard a one-hour New York Sports Tours Virtual Tour Experience celebrating Babe Ruth, whose first Yankees season was 100 years ago, with a focus on 1947’s Babe Ruth Day.
The videoconference, with limited attendance, will feature the only known film of Ruth’s speech at the April 27, 1947 ceremony before a sold-put crowd at the original Yankee Stadium, aka “The House That Ruth Built.” Here’s an audio-only version:
Tour attendees will also hear from Larry Cutler, then a Bronx teenager who was selected to introduce Ruth (we know not how or why, but suspect you’ll learn the answers on Thursday. You can ask him directly via Q&A). A film of Cutler’s speech, which the man himself has never before seen, will be shown.
To register for tickets, visit co-presenter Cisco Webex.
Here’s newsreel footage of both Babe Ruth Day, and memorial tributes to the Bambino a year later.
- Kaye Ballard Doc Debuts - July 13, 2020
- Globetrotting Shakespeare - July 10, 2020
- ‘+Life’ Comes to Localish - July 10, 2020
- Celebrate Ultraman Day - July 9, 2020
- ‘Extraordinary’ Panels - July 9, 2020
- ‘Olympia’ Dukakis Doc - July 8, 2020
- Ringo Starr Turns 80 - July 7, 2020
- Happy 85th, The Dalai Lama! - July 6, 2020
- Molière’s ‘Tartuffe’ - July 6, 2020
- Celebrating Carl Reiner - July 3, 2020