(Photo source: New York Sports Tours)
Here’s one for deprived New York Yankees fans, or baseball fans in general:
For $19.20 this Thursday, June 25, at 6 pm ET, you can get onboard a one-hour New York Sports Tours Virtual Tour Experience celebrating Babe Ruth, whose first Yankees season was 100 years ago, with a focus on 1947’s Babe Ruth Day.
The videoconference, with limited attendance, will feature the only known film of Ruth’s speech at the April 27, 1947 ceremony before a sold-put crowd at the original Yankee Stadium, aka “The House That Ruth Built.” Here’s an audio-only version:
Tour attendees will also hear from Larry Cutler, then a Bronx teenager who was selected to introduce Ruth (we know not how or why, but suspect you’ll learn the answers on Thursday. You can ask him directly via Q&A). A film of Cutler’s speech, which the man himself has never before seen, will be shown.
To register for tickets, visit co-presenter Cisco Webex.
Here’s newsreel footage of both Babe Ruth Day, and memorial tributes to the Bambino a year later.
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021