(Above source: Flickr, Alatele fr)
Rocky, the Oscar-winning movie about an underdog boxer from Philadelphia – written and portrayed by a then-relatively unknown actor – debuted in theaters in late 1976.
Tomorrow, June 9, 40 Years of Rocky: The Birth of a Classic, a documentary chronicling the making of the global blockbuster, will be available to stream for $2.99 ($1.99 in SD) from iTunes/AppleTV, Amazon, Vimeo and Google Play. (For international readers, the film will be released outside North America under the title Becoming Rocky: The Birth of a Classic).
Derek Wayne Johnson wrote, directed and co-produced the documentary. It is narrated by Sylvester Stallone (aka Rocky Balboa) and offers rarely seen behind-the-scenes footage of cast members Talia Shire, Burt Young, Burgess Meredith and Carl Weathers.
Rocky was nominated for 10 Academy Awards, including Stallone for best screenplay, and took home the Best Picture Oscar. John G. Avildsen also won for Best Director.
The film spawned seven sequels. According to recent estimates, the franchise has taken in more than $1.5 billion at the box office worldwide.
Where to Stream All Eight Rocky Films
- Epic Flight to Freedom - May 14, 2021
- Wanda Sykes’ Netflix Sitcom - May 12, 2021
- Live Longer and Prosper - May 10, 2021
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021