No, Jeff Bezos and Amazon don’t need any Covid-19 relief, but the indigenous people of South America’s Amazon region are another story. So such stars as Barbra Streisand, Sting, Jane Fonda and Dave Matthews will headline tonight’s Artists United for Amazonia: Protecting the Protectors, a benefit for the Amazon Emergency Fund.
The 2½-hour event, starting at 8 pm ET on Facebook and artistsforamazonia.org, will also feature Carlos Santana, Morgan Freeman, Jane Goodall, Jeff Bridges, Peter Gabriel, Herbie Hancock and many others. Oona Chaplin (Talisa Maegyr in Game of Thrones) will host.
Click on the video below for more names:
The World Health Center reported recently that South America has become the new epicenter of the pandemic, and Amazon Watch points out that the rainforest region has been particularly hard hit, with over 100,000 known COVID-19 cases and well over 5,000 confirmed deaths. “Due to a lack of healthcare resources across the region,” it notes, “cases are likely underreported and illegal deforestation and extraction activities on indigenous lands further heighten the risk of exposure.”
Artists for Amazonia is a group effort of Amazon Watch, the Amazon Aid Foundation, the Rainforest Foundation US, COICA (Coordinator of the Indigenous Organizations of the Amazon Basin) and EMA (the Environmental Media Association).
- Kaye Ballard Doc Debuts - July 13, 2020
- Globetrotting Shakespeare - July 10, 2020
- ‘+Life’ Comes to Localish - July 10, 2020
- Celebrate Ultraman Day - July 9, 2020
- ‘Extraordinary’ Panels - July 9, 2020
- ‘Olympia’ Dukakis Doc - July 8, 2020
- Ringo Starr Turns 80 - July 7, 2020
- Happy 85th, The Dalai Lama! - July 6, 2020
- Molière’s ‘Tartuffe’ - July 6, 2020
- Celebrating Carl Reiner - July 3, 2020