(Above: Emily Watson in ‘Within the Whirlwind.’ Source: YouTube video)
Within the Whirlwind, a 2009 drama based on the true story of a woman who survived a decade in a Soviet gulag, debuts tomorrow, May 22, on indie subscription streamer Film Movement Plus.
In the paranoid Stalinist era of the 1930s Soviet Union, teacher and writer Eugenia Ginzburg (two-time Oscar nominee Emily Watson) is suddenly accused of participating in a Trotskyist Counter Revolutionary group and taken to a notorious prison camp. There she endures years of hard labor and brutal cold.
The cast includes Pam Ferris, Ian Hart, Ben Miller and Ulrich Tukur.
Film Movement Plus offers a catalog of cult and art-house classics. Many Film Movement Plus titles were feted at film festivals around the world. A subscription costs $5.99/month with a 30-day free trial.
For more, visit FilmMovementPlus.com.
- Cartoons, Crimes, Crises - January 20, 2021
- Covid Accelerates Cord-Cutting - January 15, 2021
- Still Searching on HBO Max - January 13, 2021
- ‘Finding Joy,’ ‘Love’ - January 11, 2021
- Peabody Poet Returns - January 8, 2021
- Chiklis in ‘Coyote’ Drama - January 6, 2021
- ‘Real-life’ Streamer Bows - January 4, 2021
- #1: ‘Seaside Hotel’ - December 30, 2020
- #4: ‘Mystery Road'(s) - December 24, 2020
- #5: Laurel & Hardy - December 23, 2020