(Above: Emily Watson in ‘Within the Whirlwind.’ Source: YouTube video)
Within the Whirlwind, a 2009 drama based on the true story of a woman who survived a decade in a Soviet gulag, debuts tomorrow, May 22, on indie subscription streamer Film Movement Plus.
In the paranoid Stalinist era of the 1930s Soviet Union, teacher and writer Eugenia Ginzburg (two-time Oscar nominee Emily Watson) is suddenly accused of participating in a Trotskyist Counter Revolutionary group and taken to a notorious prison camp. There she endures years of hard labor and brutal cold.
The cast includes Pam Ferris, Ian Hart, Ben Miller and Ulrich Tukur.
Film Movement Plus offers a catalog of cult and art-house classics. Many Film Movement Plus titles were feted at film festivals around the world. A subscription costs $5.99/month with a 30-day free trial.
For more, visit FilmMovementPlus.com.
- ‘Mr. Belvedere’ Reunion - May 29, 2020
- ‘Holiday’ Viewing Party - May 29, 2020
- Carol Burnett on Shout! - May 28, 2020
- Animated ‘Central Park’ - May 28, 2020
- ‘Filthy Rich’ Epstein - May 27, 2020
- HBO Max’s Opening Slate - May 26, 2020
- Ultimate Shakespeare Binge - May 22, 2020
- ‘Homecoming’ Returns - May 22, 2020
- Guilty Pleasure Alert - May 21, 2020
- Soviet Gulag Drama - May 21, 2020