(Above source: Gage Skidmore, Flickr)
Actor Andy Serkis, who brought J.R.R. Tolkien’s Gollum to life in big-screen adaptations of The Lord of the Rings film trilogy (2001-2003) and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012), will perform a marathon reading of The Hobbit – from cover to cover.
The goal will be to raise money for two UK charities helping families and health care workers deal with the impact of Covid-19: Best Beginnings and NHS Charities Together.
Serkis will crack the book starting tomorrow, May 8, at 5 am ET (set your alarm)/10 am GMT, embarking on the epic tale of trolls, giant spiders, evil goblins, a dragon named Smaug and, ultimately, the Battle of the Five Armies.
Streaming details will be announced on the Hobbitathon GoFundMe page. Serkis promises that if the fundraiser hits its target of £100,000 (about $122,000 US dollars), “there may be a special surprise later in our journey.” So far, the campaign has raised £31,000.
For more, visit gofundme.com/f/thehobbitathoncovid19appeal.
Where to Stream the Best of Gollum
Once you have listened to Serkis’ performance, here is where to binge his incomparable turns as Gollum:
- ‘Mr. Belvedere’ Reunion - May 29, 2020
- ‘Holiday’ Viewing Party - May 29, 2020
- Carol Burnett on Shout! - May 28, 2020
- Animated ‘Central Park’ - May 28, 2020
- ‘Filthy Rich’ Epstein - May 27, 2020
- HBO Max’s Opening Slate - May 26, 2020
- Ultimate Shakespeare Binge - May 22, 2020
- ‘Homecoming’ Returns - May 22, 2020
- Guilty Pleasure Alert - May 21, 2020
- Soviet Gulag Drama - May 21, 2020