(Above source: Gage Skidmore, Flickr)
Actor Andy Serkis, who brought J.R.R. Tolkien’s Gollum to life in big-screen adaptations of The Lord of the Rings film trilogy (2001-2003) and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012), will perform a marathon reading of The Hobbit – from cover to cover.
The goal will be to raise money for two UK charities helping families and health care workers deal with the impact of Covid-19: Best Beginnings and NHS Charities Together.
Serkis will crack the book starting tomorrow, May 8, at 5 am ET (set your alarm)/10 am GMT, embarking on the epic tale of trolls, giant spiders, evil goblins, a dragon named Smaug and, ultimately, the Battle of the Five Armies.
Streaming details will be announced on the Hobbitathon GoFundMe page. Serkis promises that if the fundraiser hits its target of £100,000 (about $122,000 US dollars), “there may be a special surprise later in our journey.” So far, the campaign has raised £31,000.
For more, visit gofundme.com/f/thehobbitathoncovid19appeal.
Where to Stream the Best of Gollum
Once you have listened to Serkis’ performance, here is where to binge his incomparable turns as Gollum:
- Epic Flight to Freedom - May 14, 2021
- Wanda Sykes’ Netflix Sitcom - May 12, 2021
- Live Longer and Prosper - May 10, 2021
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021