(Above: Debi Mazar and the real Ava Gardner. Photo sources: IMDb and Wikipedia)
Come again? Long-time supporting actress Debi Mazar (e.g., Younger, Entourage) starring as film legend Ava Gardner in a Spanish mini-series? In black and white?
Si! Arde Madrid (“Burn Madrid Burn”), a comic suspense thriller consisting of eight half-hour episodes, premieres today on subscription streamer MHz Choice.
It’s the early 1960s and Gardner is living a wild life in Madrid after divorcing Frank Sinatra. Dictator Francisco Franco’s government sends a right-wing governess Ana Mari (Imma Cuesta) to spy on her disguised as a maid. Ana Mari must also feign marriage to a fellow spy, employed as Gardner’s chauffeur.
The chauffeur is played by the show’s director/co-writer Paco Leon, who also plays María José Riquelme in Netflix’s Mexican series The House of Flowers.
Arde Madrid, shown with subtitles, is mostly in Spanish, with some English.
MHz Choice will debut two episodes of the series each Tuesday through May 26. It ran originally on Spanish subscription streamer Movestar+ in November 2018.
MHz Choice costs $7.99 monthly or $89.99 yearly after a seven-day free trial. But you can now get 50% off your first month by using the promo code SPRING20. For a device list, to learn what other subtitled international series are available, or to subscribe, visit mhzchoice.com.
- Brooklyn Film Festival - May 29, 2020
- ‘Streaming Outta Fenway’ - May 28, 2020
- Amazon Relief Livestream - May 28, 2020
- ‘Haircut Night in America’ - May 27, 2020
- 10-Day Free Film Festival - May 27, 2020
- Multicultural VumaTV - May 26, 2020
- Marking Memorial Day - May 22, 2020
- It’s Red Nose Day on NBC - May 21, 2020
- A Free Romcom Musical - May 21, 2020
- New Morgan Fairchild Soap - May 20, 2020