(Above: Debi Mazar and the real Ava Gardner. Photo sources: IMDb and Wikipedia)
Come again? Long-time supporting actress Debi Mazar (e.g., Younger, Entourage) starring as film legend Ava Gardner in a Spanish mini-series? In black and white?
Si! Arde Madrid (“Burn Madrid Burn”), a comic suspense thriller consisting of eight half-hour episodes, premieres today on subscription streamer MHz Choice.
It’s the early 1960s and Gardner is living a wild life in Madrid after divorcing Frank Sinatra. Dictator Francisco Franco’s government sends a right-wing governess Ana Mari (Imma Cuesta) to spy on her disguised as a maid. Ana Mari must also feign marriage to a fellow spy, employed as Gardner’s chauffeur.
The chauffeur is played by the show’s director/co-writer Paco Leon, who also plays María José Riquelme in Netflix’s Mexican series The House of Flowers.
Arde Madrid, shown with subtitles, is mostly in Spanish, with some English.
MHz Choice will debut two episodes of the series each Tuesday through May 26. It ran originally on Spanish subscription streamer Movestar+ in November 2018.
MHz Choice costs $7.99 monthly or $89.99 yearly after a seven-day free trial. But you can now get 50% off your first month by using the promo code SPRING20. For a device list, to learn what other subtitled international series are available, or to subscribe, visit mhzchoice.com.
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021