(Above: ‘Blood Quantum.’ Source: Shudder)
Blood Quantum, a flick about a zombie plague threatening a First Nations reservation in Canada, arrives today on subscription streamer Shudder.
The isolated Mi’gmaq reserve of Red Crow is surrounded by walking corpses, the product of a zombifying virus. But some reserve inhabitants are immune to the plague, including the tribal sheriff (Michael Greyeyes) who must protect his son’s pregnant girlfriend, apocalyptic refugees, and even the “riffraff” from the dead encroachers.
The cast includes Forrest Goodluck, Kiowa Gordon, Elle-Máijá Tailfeathers, Olivia Scriven, Stonehorse Lone Goeman, Brandon Oakes, William Belleau, Devery Jacobs and Gary Farmer.
First Nations filmmaker Jeff Barnaby, who was born on the Mi’gmaq reserve in Quebec, wrote and directed. His debut feature was Rhymes for Young Ghouls (2013), about a Mi’gMaq teenager who plots revenge against a sadistic Indian agent. You can stream Ghouls with an Amazon Prime or Fandor subscription and free via library streamer Kanopy. You can also rent it starting at $3.99 from Google Play, YouTube and other providers.
Shudder offers subscriptions starting at $4.75 month. You can now get 30 days free with promo code SHUTIN when signing up at Shudder.com.
Two other pandemic-induced zombie-apocalypses movies are also relatively new to streaming. Corona Zombies, a quickly churned-out low-budget satire, is available from subscription streamer Full Moon Features. There’s also By Day’s End, about a lesbian couple fighting off – what else? – virus-created flesh-eating zombies. You can rent it for $3.99 from Google Play or Vudu.
- Father & Son Serial Killers? - May 17, 2021
- Epic Flight to Freedom - May 14, 2021
- Wanda Sykes’ Netflix Sitcom - May 12, 2021
- Live Longer and Prosper - May 10, 2021
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021