Enchained, a 2019 historical romance, debuts tomorrow, April 18, as the first on-demand movie from habeshaview, otherwise a subscription-based streamer mostly geared to the international Ethiopian diaspora.
In Amharic with English subtitles, the 90-minute film (original title: Quragnaye) won Ethoipian Best Film, Best Actor (Zerihun Mulatu) and Best Actress (Yemisirach Girma) honors at last years Leza Awards.
Set in 1911, Mulatu plays Gobeze, whose childhood sweetheart Aleme (Girma) is abducted and disappears. After a seven-year search, he finds her married to Gonite (Tesfaye Yimam). Under traditional Ethiopian law then in effect, Gobeze and Gonite are then “enchained” to each other as they undertake a long journey to the royal court of Queen Zewditu (Firehiwot Kelkilew). She’ll decide if Gobeze will get to reclaim Aleme…or be convicted of seducing another man’s wife.
You can get a 48-hour rental of Enchained for $5.99, or receive it as part of a $7.99 monthly or $79.99 annual subscription to habeshaview, which includes Ethiopian channels plus international news streams: Qatar’s Al Jazeera, Russia’s RT, France 24 and Turkey’s TRT World.
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021