(Above: Alice Howell and Al St. John in ‘Shot in the Excitement.’ Source: SilentFilmMusic.com)
For the past two Sundays, we’ve found some much-needed diversion through the Silent Comedy Watch Party, consisting of live-streamed rare shorts with live piano accompaniment.
Each show, which gets underway at 3 pm ET, lasts under 90 minutes, allowing you to return quickly to more serious matters if necessary.
The shows are then archived on YouTube.
Episode one, which follows, consisted of three silents, starting off with a nice new discovery for us: Alice Howell, in the 12-minute Shot in the Excitement (1914).
Our favorite-from the four-film second episode also leads off the show: Fadeaway (1926), an eight-minute animated/live-action surreal romp starring Koko the Clown and animator Max Fleischer.
For now, let’s fade away…
(Above: Koko the Clown and the hand of Max Fleischer. Source: YouTube video)
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021