(Photo: Elmer Bäck and Anna Paavilainen in ‘Idiomatic.’ Source: Sundance Now)
Binged any good Finnish series lately? Subscription streamers Sundance Now and PBS Masterpiece/Walter Presents aim to remedy that situation this week with, respectively, a romantic comedy and a spy thriller.
Sundance Now describes Idiomatic, debuting this Thursday, as similar to Amazon Prime’s Catastrophe, but with the male/female couple being Swedish/Finnish rather than American/British: “When they move in together, the language barrier and different values cause some tension and lots of amusing situations.”
Idiomatic, under the title Jättekiva, has run for two seasons (2018-2019) on Finnish streamer Elisa Viihde. Sundance Now will debut the first season of 10 episodes (21 minutes each) on March 5.
You can subscribe to Sundance Now for $6.99 monthly or $59.99 annually, both following a seven-day free trial.
Secret Enemies, based on an “Arto Ratamo” book series by Taavi Soininvaara, finds Finnish Security Intelligence Service Detective Ratamo investigating an espionage case that links a Russian oligarch and the Finnish prime minister – and threatens all of Europe.
Secret Enemies, filmed in Helsinki and Berlin, ran originally under the title Ratamo on Finnish streamer C More in 2018. All 10 episodes (42 minutes each) will debut Friday, March 6, via Walter Presents.
You can stream Walter Presents shows either with a subscription to Amazon Prime’s PBS Masterpiece add-on channel, or via a standalone subscription service available through the free Roku Channel. Both services cost $5.99 monthly, following a seven-day free trial.
- Norwegian Drama Duo - July 19, 2021
- Chelsea Stardust Playlist - July 15, 2021
- ‘Schmigadoon!’/’Brigadoon’ - July 14, 2021
- Goode, Rhys, West, Purefoy - July 13, 2021
- Watch ‘Trick of the Witch’ - July 9, 2021
- Aristophanes’ ‘The Frogs’ - July 8, 2021
- JustWatch June Leaders - July 6, 2021
- ‘The Beast Must Die’ - July 2, 2021
- Netflix’s Beautiful Lover - July 1, 2021
- Somos.: Fact-Based Massacre - June 30, 2021