Downton Abbey’s feisty cook Mrs. Patmore as the matriarch of a rich British family in late 18th Century, pre-colonial India?
You can see actress Lesley Nicol’s transformation in Beecham House, a six-episode British drama debuting this Sunday, March 1, but not on PBS stations. Instead, Beecham House will stream on both PBS Passport, available to members of PBS stations, and PBS Masterpiece, an Amazon Prime add-on channel.
Nicol plays Henrietta Beecham in the series, which stars Tom Bateman (Vanity Fair, Jekyll and Hyde) as her son John, with Leo Suter (Sanditon) as another son, Daniel. It’s 1795, and John, a former soldier with the East India Company, buys an imposing Delhi mansion to house his family. Twists, turns and complex relationships follow.
Beecham House was written, directed and produced by Gurinder Chadha (Bend It Like Beckham, Bride & Prejudice, Blinded By The Light).
The series ran originally on the UK’s ITV last summer.
Semi-spoiler alert: Despite a cliffhanger ending in episode six, ITV did not renew Beecham House for a second season.
Amazon Prime subscribers can get PBS Masterpiece for an additional $5.99 a month following a seven-day free trial.
- Back to ‘Concentration’ - March 30, 2020
- Survival on MX Player - March 30, 2020
- Ficto’s 6-Month Isolation - March 27, 2020
- Music Never Sleeps NYC - March 27, 2020
- Fox’s Living Room Benefit - March 26, 2020
- ‘Curtain Up!’ for Seniors - March 26, 2020
- Free Rivit-ing Pilots - March 25, 2020
- Classics to the Rescue - March 24, 2020
- RIP Kenny Rogers, TV Star - March 23, 2020
- Circle of Quarantine - March 23, 2020