(Above: ‘Miracle,’ 2004. Source: JustWatch)
“Do you believe in miracles?” exclaimed ABC sportscaster Al Michaels on Friday, February 22, 1980, as the USA hockey team defeated the USSR in a monumental upset at the Winter Olympics.
To mark the 40th anniversary of the event, ABC will air a one-hour special, “Miracle on Ice at 40,” this Sunday, February 23, at 2 pm ET.
In addition, its Walt Disney Company siblings ESPN and ESPN2 will run various commemorative shows throughout the day – including the 2004 movie Miracle, starring Kurt Russell as coach Herb Brooks.
If you’d rather celebrate the 40th anniversary on tomorrow’s correct date, however, Miracle is available to Netflix and Disney+ subscribers at any time, or from various providers for $3.99. Miracle is rated the #2 sports movie of all time at SportsInMovies.com, just ahead of Oscar winner Rocky (1976) and behind only HBO’s Rebound: The Legend of Earl ‘The Goat’ Manigault (1996).
An earlier ABC movie, 1981’s Miracle on Ice, starred Karl Malden as Brooks and featured footage from the original sports telecast:
HBO subscribers, meanwhile, can stream a one-hour 2002 documentary, Do You Believe in Miracles? The Story of the 1980 U.S. Hockey Team.
- Emily Watson’s ‘Too Close’ - May 17, 2021
- The Red Rose of Mumbai? - May 14, 2021
- Rotten Tomatoes Channel - May 13, 2021
- 85 Years of Wavy Gravy - May 12, 2021
- We Clap for ‘Clipped’ - May 11, 2021
- A Canary Islands Thriller - May 11, 2021
- Guide to ‘Those Who Kill’ - May 10, 2021
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021