(Above: ‘Miracle,’ 2004. Source: JustWatch)
“Do you believe in miracles?” exclaimed ABC sportscaster Al Michaels on Friday, February 22, 1980, as the USA hockey team defeated the USSR in a monumental upset at the Winter Olympics.
To mark the 40th anniversary of the event, ABC will air a one-hour special, “Miracle on Ice at 40,” this Sunday, February 23, at 2 pm ET.
In addition, its Walt Disney Company siblings ESPN and ESPN2 will run various commemorative shows throughout the day – including the 2004 movie Miracle, starring Kurt Russell as coach Herb Brooks.
If you’d rather celebrate the 40th anniversary on tomorrow’s correct date, however, Miracle is available to Netflix and Disney+ subscribers at any time, or from various providers for $3.99. Miracle is rated the #2 sports movie of all time at SportsInMovies.com, just ahead of Oscar winner Rocky (1976) and behind only HBO’s Rebound: The Legend of Earl ‘The Goat’ Manigault (1996).
An earlier ABC movie, 1981’s Miracle on Ice, starred Karl Malden as Brooks and featured footage from the original sports telecast:
HBO subscribers, meanwhile, can stream a one-hour 2002 documentary, Do You Believe in Miracles? The Story of the 1980 U.S. Hockey Team.
- Back to ‘Concentration’ - March 30, 2020
- Survival on MX Player - March 30, 2020
- Ficto’s 6-Month Isolation - March 27, 2020
- Music Never Sleeps NYC - March 27, 2020
- Fox’s Living Room Benefit - March 26, 2020
- ‘Curtain Up!’ for Seniors - March 26, 2020
- Free Rivit-ing Pilots - March 25, 2020
- Classics to the Rescue - March 24, 2020
- RIP Kenny Rogers, TV Star - March 23, 2020
- Circle of Quarantine - March 23, 2020