(Above: Deborah Cox in “Carl Weber’s Influence.’ Source: YouTube video)
Carl Weber’s Influence, a movie about a family of African-American lawyers defending a Grammy-winning singer charged with murdering her celebrity husband, debuts today on recently launched subscription streamer BET+.
BET+ will also be home for a 12-episode second season of Carl Weber’s The Family Business, a crime drama described as the “black Sopranos.” The first eight-episode season ran on sister cable service BET in 2018.
Carl Weber’s Influence stars Roger Guenveur Smith (Peabody Award winner for Starz’s 2001 A Huey P. Newton Story) as family patriarch Bradley Hudson, described as “a modern-day Johnny Cochran.” Deborah Cox, herself a Grammy-nominated singer, plays defendant Savannah Kirby. The cast also includes Kellita Smith, Drew Sidora and Todd Anthony as other members of the Hudson family and Anthony Hamilton as Savannah’s doomed husband.
The cast of Carl Weber’s The Family Business includes Valarie Pettiford (Tony nominee for Fosse in 1999) and Ernie Hudson ( Winston Zeddemore in the Ghostbusters franchise) as members of the Duncan crime family. Armand Assante (Emmy winner for playing the title head of a real crime family in HBO’s 1996 Gotti) co-stars.
- Emily Watson’s ‘Too Close’ - May 17, 2021
- The Red Rose of Mumbai? - May 14, 2021
- Rotten Tomatoes Channel - May 13, 2021
- 85 Years of Wavy Gravy - May 12, 2021
- We Clap for ‘Clipped’ - May 11, 2021
- A Canary Islands Thriller - May 11, 2021
- Guide to ‘Those Who Kill’ - May 10, 2021
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021