(Above: Deborah Cox in “Carl Weber’s Influence.’ Source: YouTube video)
Carl Weber’s Influence, a movie about a family of African-American lawyers defending a Grammy-winning singer charged with murdering her celebrity husband, debuts today on recently launched subscription streamer BET+.
BET+ will also be home for a 12-episode second season of Carl Weber’s The Family Business, a crime drama described as the “black Sopranos.” The first eight-episode season ran on sister cable service BET in 2018.
Carl Weber’s Influence stars Roger Guenveur Smith (Peabody Award winner for Starz’s 2001 A Huey P. Newton Story) as family patriarch Bradley Hudson, described as “a modern-day Johnny Cochran.” Deborah Cox, herself a Grammy-nominated singer, plays defendant Savannah Kirby. The cast also includes Kellita Smith, Drew Sidora and Todd Anthony as other members of the Hudson family and Anthony Hamilton as Savannah’s doomed husband.
The cast of Carl Weber’s The Family Business includes Valarie Pettiford (Tony nominee for Fosse in 1999) and Ernie Hudson ( Winston Zeddemore in the Ghostbusters franchise) as members of the Duncan crime family. Armand Assante (Emmy winner for playing the title head of a real crime family in HBO’s 1996 Gotti) co-stars.
- Back to ‘Concentration’ - March 30, 2020
- Survival on MX Player - March 30, 2020
- Ficto’s 6-Month Isolation - March 27, 2020
- Music Never Sleeps NYC - March 27, 2020
- Fox’s Living Room Benefit - March 26, 2020
- ‘Curtain Up!’ for Seniors - March 26, 2020
- Free Rivit-ing Pilots - March 25, 2020
- Classics to the Rescue - March 24, 2020
- RIP Kenny Rogers, TV Star - March 23, 2020
- Circle of Quarantine - March 23, 2020