(Above: Douglas in ‘Lust for Life’)
With Kirk Douglas passing away yesterday at 103, The Savvy Screener struggled with how best to honor the legendary actor. We found plenty of free Douglas movies on YouTube, but wanted to only share the best of the best with our readers.
So we turned to Douglas’ awards page on IMDB. While Douglas received an honorary Academy Award in 1996 “for 50 years as a creative and moral force in the motion picture community,” he never won a competitive Oscar. But he did receive three Best Actor nominations, which seemed like a good place to begin a retrospective of outstanding Kirk Douglas performances.
Douglas received his other two Oscar nominations for playing an unscrupulous movie producer in 1952’s The Bad and the Beautiful and the “brilliant but tortured” artist Vincent Van Gogh in 1956’s Lust for Life, for which he did win a Golden Globe. The Bad and the Beautiful is available to Criterion Channel subscribers, and both films can be rented for $1.99 from Amazon.
Check back tomorrow when The Savvy Screener looks at Kirk Douglas’ three Emmy-nominated performances!
(Note: The above is an updated version of a previously published article.)
- Miracle on Ice, Revisited - February 21, 2020
- ‘Carl Weber’s Influence’ - February 20, 2020
- Redbox Free Live TV - February 19, 2020
- ‘Sacred Lies,’ Season 2 - February 18, 2020
- ‘Odd Squad,’ Season 3 - February 17, 2020
- ‘Fairy Tale Weddings’ - February 14, 2020
- GetTV’s Grizzly Saturday - February 13, 2020
- Galaxy S20’s Flipboard TV - February 13, 2020
- Hulu’s Musical Debuts - February 12, 2020
- Watch V-Day Marathons - February 11, 2020