(Above source: YouTube video)
“The system is rigged.”
It’s a mantra typically associated with a raucous Trump rally or tweetstorm — or a Bernie Sanders’ speech. But it’s also the message of a new short video, Unbreaking America: Divided We Fall, delivered by actor Michael Douglas with a livid passion that brings to mind his fed-up everyman in Falling Down.
Douglas has teamed with the self-described “right-left anti-corruption” non-profit RepresentUs to indict the national body politic and rally voters to become more involved in their communities and/or donate money to the cause of changing the status quo.
The film blames “special interests, lobbyists, and the political establishment” who “control the money, debates, primaries and draw voting districts” for a political system “so gridlocked that it blocks meaningful progress on the most pressing issues” such as health care and the national debt.
The answer, the video says, is in passing The American Anti-Corruption Act in enough states to bring about federal change. The act, among other things, calls for independent redistricting commissions, eliminating lobbyist donations to politicians, term limits and automatic voter registration.
You can watch the 10-minute video here:
- HBO Max’s Victorian X-Women - April 9, 2021
- Netflix’s Crime Spree - April 7, 2021
- PBS’ Complicated ‘Hemingway’ - April 5, 2021
- The President and the Princess - April 2, 2021
- ‘Made for Love’ on HBO Max - March 31, 2021
- Swedish Superspy - March 29, 2021
- Sherlock with a Twist - March 26, 2021
- NYC Seder Gets Political - March 24, 2021
- Israeli Transplants in Paris - March 22, 2021
- HBO Max: Who is QAnon? - March 19, 2021