(Above source: YouTube video)
“The system is rigged.”
It’s a mantra typically associated with a raucous Trump rally or tweetstorm — or a Bernie Sanders’ speech. But it’s also the message of a new short video, Unbreaking America: Divided We Fall, delivered by actor Michael Douglas with a livid passion that brings to mind his fed-up everyman in Falling Down.
Douglas has teamed with the self-described “right-left anti-corruption” non-profit RepresentUs to indict the national body politic and rally voters to become more involved in their communities and/or donate money to the cause of changing the status quo.
The film blames “special interests, lobbyists, and the political establishment” who “control the money, debates, primaries and draw voting districts” for a political system “so gridlocked that it blocks meaningful progress on the most pressing issues” such as health care and the national debt.
The answer, the video says, is in passing The American Anti-Corruption Act in enough states to bring about federal change. The act, among other things, calls for independent redistricting commissions, eliminating lobbyist donations to politicians, term limits and automatic voter registration.
You can watch the 10-minute video here:
- The Muppets Do Improv - July 31, 2020
- Decades ‘Odd Couple’ Binge - July 30, 2020
- Cubers’ Winning Friendship - July 29, 2020
- Jeffrey Epstein Story - July 28, 2020
- Brit Week on Hulu - July 27, 2020
- RIP, Olivia de Havilland - July 26, 2020
- This Web Series is ‘NC-16’ - July 24, 2020
- A Horrific Inheritance - July 23, 2020
- The Mob and NYC - July 22, 2020
- Little Baby Bum on Pluto - July 21, 2020