(Above: Margues Brownlee with a Sony Walkman. Source: ‘Retro Tech’ trailer)
Remember camcorders? How about Walkman tape players? Or Polaroid Land Cameras?
Marques Brownlee is too young to remember, but still in awe of these and other tech classics. And now, this YouTube influencer – who’s gained nearly 10 million subscribers for his Dope Tech videos on the latest tech – has launched Retro Tech, a six-episode series examining influential gadgets from the past.
Here’s episode one, on 1984’s breakthrough JVC GR-C1 Camcorder:
The other five episodes look at the 1984 Macintosh, the Sega Genesis video game console, the Sony Walkman portable tape player, the Polaroid Land Camera and the Motorola DynaTAC cell phone.
The Savvy Screener is particularly eager to see the Walkman episode, since two of our founders both worked – years later — for the public relations firm that put that Sony technology on the map.
But you can unlock all the episodes right now by subscribing to YouTube Premium, which offers a one-month free trial, after which you can pay $11.99 monthly for ad-free YouTube Originals and an ad-free music service. For more info, visit youtube.com/premium.
- ‘Heroes’ on Motorsport.tv - January 17, 2020
- Turn on ‘Airplane Mode’ - January 16, 2020
- Grace, Frankie, Sex Ed - January 15, 2020
- MHZ Shuts Down Worldview - January 15, 2020
- Lassie, Magoo & George - January 14, 2020
- Is Kipo a Keeper? - January 13, 2020
- Why Watch Watcher? - January 13, 2020
- Netflix Goes Phishing - January 10, 2020
- RIP Kookie - January 10, 2020
- CW Seed’s Free Brit Shows - January 9, 2020