(Above: Dorothy Dandridge. Source: Flickr)
Starting at midnight ET tonight, The Film Detective’s Sling, Stirr and DistroTV channels will celebrate Thanksgiving with 24 hours of “Soundies,” a precursor of music videos, plus other musical treats.
Popular in the 1940s, Soundies were music film clips shown via 16mm rear projection machines known as “Panorams” or video jukeboxes. The Film Detective’s “Soundies” binge will include 12 musical numbers from artists like singer/actress Dorothy Dandridge and jazz singer Una Mae Carlisle. The marathon will also include such musical feature films as Till the Clouds Roll By (1946) with Judy Garland and Lena Horne, and Second Chorus (1940), starring Fred Astaire, Paulette Goddard and Artie Shaw.
You can also see The Film Detective’s Soundies collection on-demand at TheFilmDetective.tv or on the service’s app for iOS, Amazon, Roku and Apple TV.
- Halston Biopic on Netflix - May 13, 2021
- French Film Noir Streams - May 3, 2021
- ‘The Best of Bugs Bunny’ - April 30, 2021
- Sleeping with Netflix - April 28, 2021
- ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ Returns - April 27, 2021
- Polish Pleasures This Week - April 26, 2021
- ‘The Skipper’ as ‘Casey Jones’ - April 15, 2021
- Late Day’s Light Night - April 14, 2021
- ‘Holocaust to Hollywood’ - April 7, 2021
- Scully and Mulder on Comet - April 5, 2021