Over-the-air channel Decades will host an 86-episode marathon of Adventures of Superman this weekend, starting Saturday, November 9, at noon ET.
The binge kicks-off with the series’ first episode, “Superman on Earth,” telling the back-story of an infant’s delivery from a self-destructing planet, his discovery and adoption by Eben and Sarah Kent (better known as Jonathan and Martha Kent in later film renderings), and his eventual journey to mild-mannered journalist and side-hustling superhero (we assume the reporting gig at least had a benefits package).
Other episodes will include “The Case of The Talkative Dummy,” the two-part “The Unknown People,” and “The Defeat of Superman,” in which a crook discovers that Superman is vulnerable to Kryptonite.
Adventures of Superman, which ran for 104 episodes over six seasons in syndication (1952-1958), starred George Reeves as Superman/Clark Kent, Phyllis Coates as Lois Lane (first season), Noel Neill in that role (seasons two through six), John Hamilton as Daily Planet editor Perry White, and Jack Larsen as eager-beaver photographer Jimmy Olsen.
The first two seasons were shot in black and white, giving the series a film noir feel. The last four were in color, although very few Americans owned color TV sets at the time. (In 1954, the first Westinghouse color TV went on sale for $1,295, ot more than $12,000 in 2019 dollars.) Concurrent with switching to color, the series took on a more kid-friendly tone.
Other Superman Viewing Options
- ‘Dead’ Profiles and More - July 14, 2021
- Kratts, Dogs, Wild Museums - July 12, 2021
- Troubled in Paradise - July 9, 2021
- More U.S. Viewers Cut the Cord - July 7, 2021
- Binge July 4th TV - July 2, 2021
- Binge ‘Hamilton’ and More - July 1, 2021
- ‘Twilight Zone’ Holiday - June 30, 2021
- ‘Innocent’ Anthology Returns - June 23, 2021
- South Asian Streamer Launches - June 21, 2021
- Apple TV+ Gets ‘Physical’ - June 16, 2021