(Above source: Flickr)
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) reports that bingeing is impinging on our sleep. And industry intelligence firm Conviva says we’re streaming more overall.
According to the survey, 88% of U.S. adults said they had lost sleep staying up past their bedtime to watch multiple episodes of a TV show or streaming series. That number was 95% for 18-44-year-olds, and 80% for viewers 45 and older.
The AASM offers tips for streaming shows without sacrificing sleep. These include setting an episode limit for each night before viewing begins, taking a break between each episode to escape the “auto-play” loop, and scheduling viewing of favorite shows for the weekends.
For more information, download the AASM Sleep Prioritization Survey.
And yet, the temptation to binge is only getting stronger.
But even prior to the launch of those services, streaming has risen significantly.
According to industry research firm Conviva’s State of Streaming report for the third quarter of 2019, the time viewers spend streaming grew 53% year over year, with 63% of all streaming for on-demand video.
Streaming “is an industry undergoing massive growth and what happens in the next 18 months will shape what, how and when we watch content in the future,” said Bill Demas, CEO, Conviva.
The Conviva report also said overall quality in video content improved, making for a better viewing experience. This improvement, however, didn’t extend to the technical performance of ads. From 9% to -20% of viewers dropped out each time an ad ran. Overall, 54% said they typically stop watching after four ads.
To read the full report, visit Conviva.
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021