(Above: Publicity photo of Dorothy Stratten, dated 4 months before her murder. Source: ABC News)
If you watch tonight’s 20/20 “event,” The Death of a Playmate: The Dorothy Stratten Story (ABC, 9-11 pm ET/PT), and then want to see more by and about the 1980 Playboy Playmate of the Year and aspiring actress, you’ve come to the right place.
Before being murdered by her husband at only 20 years old in 1980, Stratten had made just a few film and TV appearances. But she had already filmed Peter Bogdanovich’s romantic comedy, They All Laughed, which was released the following year. You can watch it right here, via the Vintage Movies YouTube channel:
In 1979, Stratten had participated in Playboy’s Roller Disco & Pajama Party, an actual ABC special hosted by Richard Dawson and featuring musical guests Chuck Mangione and The Village People. You can watch this bizarre time capsule right here, via the Videodrome Discothèque YouTube channel:
Following Stratten’s death, Jamie Lee Curtis and Mariel Hemingway played her in separate biopics.
The first was a 1981 NBC movie, Death of a Centerfold: The Dorothy Stratten Story. You can watch the first half of the film right here and the rest on Dailymotion.
Tonight’s 20/20 episode includes interviews with Mariel Hemingway of Star 80; Larry Wilcox, producer of Death of a Centerfold; Colleen Camp, who was in They All Laughed with Stratten; and many others.
- ‘High Castle’ Ends Today - November 15, 2019
- Corman and Dante Debuts - November 15, 2019
- Report on ‘The Report’ - November 13, 2019
- ‘All Hail Beth’ on YouTube - November 13, 2019
- Some Cash, More Parton - November 12, 2019
- Meet Historical Heroes - November 11, 2019
- Give Me ‘My First Kiss’ - November 8, 2019
- Dragula Moves to Netflix - November 8, 2019
- Tango Down on Vidi Space - November 7, 2019
- Real-Life Time Travelers - November 6, 2019