(Above source: ‘Rip Rip Hooray’ YouTube video)
Three months after mourning the death of Rip Torn, we now bid RIP to another Rip: Rip Taylor. The comedian known for his frantic confetti tossing, outrageous mustache and equally outrageous toupee, died Sunday at 84.
Taylor became a well-known figure through scores of appearances on variety and game shows starting in the early 1960s.
Here’s a typical variety show appearance — on the Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy Association Telethon in 1982:
A frequent visitor to Chuck Barris’ The Gong Show, Taylor was chosen to host Barris’ The $1.98 Beauty Show, a “game show” as indescribable as Taylor’s humor. So we’ll just have to show you a complete episode:
The $1.98 Beauty Show ran for 78 episodes in syndication over two seasons from 1978 to 1980.
Taylor had previously been a regular on ABC’s short-lived 1977 series, The Brady Bunch Variety Hour, and would later voice Uncle Fester in ABC’s 1992-1993 version of The Addams Family (two seasons, 22 episodes). In the spirit of the Halloween season, here’s episode one, “Happy Ester, Fester”:
You can stream more episodes of this animated Addams Family series via Dailymotion.
Finally, a documentary about Taylor titled Rip Rip Hooray! was produced a few years ago, but apparently hasn’t been released yet. You can watch the opening, featuring a nice compilation of Taylor through the years, right here:
- ‘Craig Fixada America’ - October 15, 2019
- Fill up on ‘Corner Gas’ - October 14, 2019
- Robert Forster Sampler - October 14, 2019
- HBO’s Gary Gulman Free - October 11, 2019
- 25 Films in 25 Minutes - October 11, 2019
- Marshall Efron Classics - October 10, 2019
- RIP Rip Taylor - October 9, 2019
- A Goldbergs Yom Kippur - October 8, 2019
- Diahann Carroll Streams - October 7, 2019
- Old Meets New on ABC - October 4, 2019